Yes saw one recently
27%
Never saw one
60%

Total votes : 15

Who knows what a Mold-A-Rama is?

Postby greg on Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:23 pm

http://blogs.plastics.com/just_one_word/2006/01/harken_back_to_.html

Now I know you don't 'all' follow my blogs religiously, so I'm doing you a favor so you don't miss this! This is the Mold-A-Rama, a 1960's plastics factory / injection moding machine / toy maker / vending machine!
Last edited by greg on Mon May 14, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...greg!
978-342-9000
greg
Site Admin

Re: Who knows what a Mold-A-Rama is?

Postby Joe Golden Gate Solutions on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:15 am

There are 2 of them in a hands on museum in Lansing, MI. one was working. The kids loved it.
Joe Golden Gate Solutions

Postby plasticexperts on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Saw a few of those back in the day. Along with the Mattel Thermoforming machines that were also popular at the time. (Still have one of those, looking for a crazed collector to offer up big bucks for it...LOL) Here's one more that used to be a favorite around here until we sold it off in a fit of housecleaning......someday doing that will likely turn out to have been a dumb move. Anybody recognise this blast from the past?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Plastic Experts - Product Design for Injection molding, Injection mold and extrusion die design, Project Management, Moldmaking.
plasticexperts

Postby greg on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:01 pm

well its a molding machine, whats the scoop? ps; mattel vacuformers sell on ebay regularly

I'd like someone to find a mold-a-rama for the npc museum :)
...greg!
978-342-9000
greg
Site Admin

Postby plasticexperts on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:12 pm

What matters is that its a desk top machine, and a blow molder, that used to be built by otherwise serious people, specifically designed to run on shop air and 110volt house current.
I think the plan was to make a major business out of selling blowmolding machines to hobbyists who wanted to make their own ......whatevers in the garage, rather than having to hire some Company that actually knew how to do the job.
Just another odd idea from the same 1960's time frame as Mold-A-Rama. Must not have worked out too well, as we've not seen these around much at all since that time.

Sorry about the picture being so big, by the way, forgot to resize before posting. OOPS!
Plastic Experts - Product Design for Injection molding, Injection mold and extrusion die design, Project Management, Moldmaking.
plasticexperts

Postby Louis on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:56 am

Plastics Expert

I resized it for you.

Nice little machine! But what's with that green color. Who was it that decided that all machines should be green back in the day :mrgreen:
My posts represent my opinion and not the ownership of this site or the company where I am employed.
Louis
Site Admin

Postby plasticexperts on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:07 pm

Since the first USA machines built were in the WWII era, I always suspected the color was not so much a decision as a case of having bunches of OD paint available and nothing else. I know at my first job, all the REEDs were army green, and all the Stokes Plunger machines of early 1950s vintage were flat out battleship gray. Looking down the production line there was like looking across the motor pool at the local Army base. Toward the end of their run of prduction in the late 1970's Stokes made the big move to let customers pick their own colors, as long as the choice was Gray, Green, or hospital white. Seems like that big range of color schemes still holds the high ground even today, except for Beige/Tan on a couple brands.
Best I ever saw though, were some machines at a custom molding outfit that did lots of work for Audio/Stereo equipment customers a few years back, who had all their presses done in metalflake candy apple red and emerald green. Very high gloss, very impractical, but great fun compared to the dull flat enamel on every other machine around, even today.
plasticexperts

Postby greg on Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:42 pm

I always thought bumblebee black and yellow glossy looked great
...greg!
978-342-9000
greg
Site Admin

Postby Mikey on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:48 am

Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. 3 years ago I bought molded dinos for my kids out of a mold-a-rama. I also flattened a penny in the machine next to it ... all in all it was quite exciting!
Mikey
Mikey

Postby Ozducati on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:06 am

I saw about half a dozen of the Mold-A-Ramas at the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit when we went there in January this year.... Stick in a couple of dollars and mould your own steam train etc. The only reason that I noticed them was the familiar smell of molten polyolefin. I had never seen of heard of Mold-A-Ramas (where did they come up with that name?) before that trip.
Regards,
Rod.

The light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train.
Ozducati

Postby Joe Golden Gate Solutions on Mon May 14, 2007 3:52 pm

I saw 2 working Mold A Ramas at the Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek MI yesterday. They looked brand new. There were not there last summer.
Joe Golden Gate Solutions

Postby oldtool on Mon May 14, 2007 5:36 pm

There's one for sale at this site ... only $12,900

http://www.replicationdevices.com/vintage.html
oldtool

Postby greg on Mon May 14, 2007 8:52 pm

I updated the links in the first post, above
...greg!
978-342-9000
greg
Site Admin

Return to Plastics History