PP Recycle Vs PP Virgin

high volume, general purpose

PP Recycle Vs PP Virgin

Postby slaiman on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi All,

I have a doubt/query which may have been addressed before, my apologies if it is repeated.

What is the difference between PP Recycle & PP Virgin ? does it affect the below ??
1. Durability
2.Strength
3.Lifespan

Why cant we use PP Recycle instead of PP Virgin ? since its cheaper for all our plastic consumption...i have had numerous information from my suppliers but none will tell me why using one over the other is better, I have asked for the breakdown in particles on the material but none are able to afford an answer, everyone just say U have an option for PP Virgin or PP recycle but they do not tell what makes the option :(
slaiman

Re: PP Recycle Vs PP Virgin

Postby Tom on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:32 pm

Recycle PP will have a lower molecular weight and strength than virgin. Variability in molecular weight and contaminate level of recycle can cause problems with sensitive processes. Durability and lifespan are not going to be better than virgin, however how much worse than virgin depends on the condition of the recycle, processing and the application.
Tom Cunningham

Extrusion Technology and Consulting

http://www.ExtrusionTechnicalServices.com
Tom

Postby DwightDixon on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:09 pm

The answer is yes. Using recyled PP will likely reduce the physical properties, shorten the life expectancy of the product, and make the product less durable. Whether the product will be acceptable to the OEM or the end user is dependent on the usage of the product. If you like to start off by failing, use regrind for every sampling of new product and then move up to virgin after the customer complains. If you think they will throw you out because you do not perform, start with virgin resin and get approved and then offer them a sample of a regrind product when they ask for a cost reduction a year from now.
Plastic Consulting by the hour. PM me
DwightDixon

Postby PhoenixInc on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Recycled plastic as a whole will have a lower MW than virgin, but usually with commodity resins, the products made have a little more tolerance than in engineering resins. In most cases I have seen, recycled will work fine. There is usually not enough degration after the first couple cycles of use to worry about. The big issue with recycled materials is that each source will be a little different quality, so it's not quite as "plug and play" as virgin is. As mentioned before, you will need to check for contaminants in recycled goods unless you get to know the source. With manufacturing profit margins as tights as they are now, it is definitely worth looking into.
Bryan Gebhart
Phoenix Recycling
http://www.plasticscrap.us
PhoenixInc

Return to Commodity Plastics