Gas From Mixed PVC/Delrin Reaction

nylons, polycarbonates, etc

Moderator: Mauricio.B

Gas From Mixed PVC/Delrin Reaction

Postby Brian Richard on Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:27 pm

Nice huge cloud of noxious gas. Turned the nozzle-face white, left residue everwhere and resulted in a visit from the Hazmat people.

What are we dealing with here... besides a clueless idiot?
--Avalanche
Brian Richard

Re: Gas From Mixed PVC/Delrin Reaction

Postby Louis on Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:20 pm

BFL Manufacturing wrote:Nice huge cloud of noxious gas. Turned the nozzle-face white, left residue everwhere and resulted in a visit from the Hazmat people.

What are we dealing with here... besides a clueless idiot?

Clickie
http://www.plastics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23659&view=previous&sid=f8959b34ce62ea50f605b3766cebef4c

Dangerous Mixes
Some plastics are reactive at molten temperature and may generate gas. Others can even explode. Examples include: PVC-Acetal, PVC-Santoprene, (1) TPE (or similar product ), Acetal-Santoprene TPE (or similar product), and Acetal-Alcryn (2) synthetic rubber.

PVC-Acetal-TPR, are incompatible. At processing temperature, the TPR (thermoplastic rubber) degrades both the PVC and the Acetal. The HCL (hydrochloric acid) from the PVC will degrade the Acetal and the mix of those two products may create BCME, which is a known carcinogen.
My posts represent my opinion and not the ownership of this site or the company where I am employed.
Louis
Site Admin

Postby Brian Richard on Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:46 am

Posted by my brother. :p

Anyhoo, thanks for that list I gave it to one of my friends at the recycle plant maybe they can avoid this problem down the road provided they don't get shut down first. :)
--Avalanche
Brian Richard

Return to Engineering Plastics