Good Mechanical Engineer

product design related questions and discussions

Moderator: Will Call

Good Mechanical Engineer

Postby aneugroschl on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:18 pm

I am new to the industry and am looking for some advice from the experts and experienced amongst the forum.

I have been working on a new product which I have prototyped through Stereolithography. That has proven the concept and we are gathering quotes for mold manufacturing and injection molding in large quantities. As you know, this is an expensive and risky next step.

The idea and design has been taken this far with a program called Alibre and was done by a novice on the team playing with the program. I am looking for a good Mechanical Engineer to validate the design and recreate the part in Solid Works or Pro E. It is a relatively simple part, but we never took into account draft and other moldability issues.

I am located in Northern New Jersey and am looking for an engineer or engineering company that has 'been there and done that' when it comes to plastic parts and design. I am open to all suggestions - preferably someone you have worked with and were pleased with the results.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

-Ari
aneugroschl

Re: Good Mechanical Engineer

Postby Will Call on Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:30 am

I'm not familiar with the NJ area but know of some companies in NE Ohio if you're interested.
Before you go to much further make sure you protect your idea.
Bill
Lead AME-Tooling
GE Appliances

"Can't" Never Could Do Anything!
Will Call

Postby aneugroschl on Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi Will,

Thank you for the reply. The product is patent-pending. We should get a number issued shortly. If you have someone, although I would prefer local, I am open to names. Please feel free to forward to me through a private message with some details of your experience.

Thanks,
-Ari
aneugroschl

Postby depryor on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:16 am

Ari,

Does your part need "engineered" or just redesigned for manufacturing? While we are not degreed engineers (i.e. strength of materials & structural analysis), we are plastics designers with an extensive background in tooling. We have customers on a national basis so working long distance would not be a problem. If you would like us to take a look at your project or if you would like to see some examples of our work, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Doug Pryor
David Wolfe Design, Inc.
Akron, Ohio USA
http://www.davidwolfedesign.com
http://www.airpoppet.com
depryor

Postby Al Hall on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:42 am

These guys are very good. Ask for Mike Driscoll.

http://www.precisiontoolanddie.net/
Al Hall

Return to Product Design