Viscoloid quickly became established as a major company in the manufacture of pyroxylin plastic stock and finished articles. The numerous comb shops in Leominster began to mold Viscoloid in place of horn for the production of dressing combs and hair ornaments. By 1910 however, changing fashion caused a serious decline in the use and sale of fancy imitation tortoise shell hair ornaments. As a result, the company was forced to recognize the need for other product lines and began the manufacture of toilet articles and dresserware.
     It wasn't until after 1914 that the Viscoloid Company began to market toys made of pyroxylin plastic. Prior to this time, most of the toys in America were manufactured in Germany and imported into the United States. However, when World War I broke out, trade with the Germans abruptly ceased.
     At that time Viscoloid seized the opportunity to enter the toymaking business. They hired German-born artist Paul H. Kramme as a designer in 1914 and quickly became the most prolific of pyroxylin plastic toy manufacturers in America. By the 1920s Viscoloid's toymaking department alone employed 350 workers.
     The toys made by Viscoloid were usually manufactured by the blow molding process, a technique in which two thin sheets of Viscoloid were placed in a mold and steam was blown between them, softening the material and forcing it to take the form of the mold.


In 1925, DuPont purchased the Viscoloid Co. of Leominster, Massachusetts, changing the name to DuPont Viscoloid Co., Inc. In that same year the DuPont Poughkeepsie plant was closed and its Pyralin product line of collars, cuffs, and toiletware was transferred to the DuPont Viscoloid facility in Leominster. The following year DuPont purchased the Pacific Novelty Company as well. This photo shows the top portion of the Dupont Viscoloid Company letterhead.

    

     Viscoloid made nearly every variety of domestic and wild animal in this fashion, as well as a great many floating birds and fish toys. Their other products include holiday novelties, rattles, and figural character toys. The marketing of these Viscoloid products was done by the Pacific Novelty Company of New York City. The firm had been organized in 1891 by Joseph Gutman and eventually became the largest distributor of Viscoloid hair ornaments and novelties in America. 
     In 1928 and 1929 DuPont called some of their finest pyroxylin plastic toiletware Lucite, branding each individual piece with the new tradename. It should be clearly understood that this particular material was cellulose nitrate plastic, the same material as Pyralin, and not the acrylic plastic DuPont introduced in 1936. The acrylic material now known as Lucite was first called "Pontalite" when it was introduced in 1936. In 1934 the Viscoloid Corporation discontinued the manufacture of pyroxylin plastics; however they continued to market articles made from the existing stock throughout the 1930s. DuPont Viscoloid continued to operate in the plastics industry until November of 1977.