The Hyatt brothers immediately registered their discovery with the United States Patent Office and on June 15, 1869, received a joint patent for the fundamental invention of pyroxylin plastic. It was titled "Improved Method Of Making Solid Collodion" U.S.P. #91,341.
    

 
This German-made machine was imported into the United States during the 1920s. It was designed for molding celluloid denture plate blanks.

This German-made machine was imported into the United States during the 1920s. It was designed for molding celluloid denture plate blanks.

Isaiah proceeded to take samples of the solid collodion material to the American Hard Rubber Co. in hopes of interesting them in the new substance. They responded by sending their employee, Professor Charles A. Seeley to the Hyatts' workshop in Albany.
     When Professor Seeley arrived in Albany, the Hyatt brothers conducted their process of manufacturing a solid piece of pyroxylin plastic by mixing pulp collodion with camphor and applying heat and pressure. Seeley, a trained chemist, was impressed with the invention, but not the method of manufacture. The inflammability of cellulose nitrate posed a serious hazard to the Hyatt brothers.
     Professor Seeley kindly advised them that "if accidentally or otherwise they were to apply a little too high a temperature, the quantity with which they were dealing would inevitably destroy them, along with the building and adjacent property". 
     Seeley then suggested to the Hyatts' that their material had potential as a replacement for hardened rubber in the manufacture of dental plate blanks. Since solid collodion was clear in its original form, various fillers and pigments could be added to imitate the natural color of the gums. Taking Seeley's advice, the Hyatt brothers set to work developing a market for their moldable pyroxylin plastic. Fortunately, the timing was just right for the introduction of this new material, which they decided to call Celluloid.
     For years hardened rubber had been used successfully as a denture blank material; however, when the Goodyear Dental Vulcanite Co. purchased the patent rights, they began to impose expensive fees upon the substance. In addition, the rising cost of rubber, due to the popularity of the bicycle craze and the demand for this commodity for tires, made Vulcanite an ever increasing expense for dentists who owned large practices. Thus the stage was set for the introduction of Celluloid dentures.
     1869 was a busy year for the Hyatt brothers. Charles was overseeing production of game pieces at the Embossing Co.; Isaiah left Illinois and returned to Albany in order to help with the newly patented plastic material and 31-year-old John, widowed two years earlier, remarried on July 21st to Anna E. Taft. All the while, John W. and Isaiah S. Hyatt continued to work on perfecting the recipe for their new semi-synthetic thermoplastic and on July 12, 1870, U.S. Pat. #105,338 "Improvement In Treating And Molding Pyroxylin," was issued to the brothers. The three claims of this patent were:

1. The grinding of pyroxylin (nitrocellulose) into a pulp.

2. The use of finely ground camphor added to the pulp and then heated to activate the solvent action.

3. The use of pressure during the heating and cooling process.

Above are Celluloid Hyatt Pocket Billiard Balls with original box manufactured at the Albany Billiard Ball Co., Albany, New York.