- Reviewing the Akiles VersaMac Modular Binding Punch
Reviewing the Akiles VersaMac Modular Binding Punch
- By Jeff McRitchie
- Published 11/3/2011
If you'd like to purchase the Akiles VersaMac, you should really visit MyBinding.com. They have great price and all the Binding Supplies that you'll need. Plus, you'll get free shipping on all orders over $75.00. If you'd like to learn more about these types of products, you can read all about them at MyBindingBlog.com.View all articles by Jeff McRitchie
* This machine has a terrific punching capacity no matter which hole pattern you choose. Here's a rundown of how many sheets it can punch per style:
o 55 sheets: three-hole, Velobind;
o 35 sheets: 4:1 coil, 3:1 and 2:1 wire, and plastic comb.
* The VersaMac requires different die sets to produce the hole pattern you want. Each set's depth margin can be adapted so you can accurately punch your paper for the results you need. You should note that each set is sold separately, so cost may end up being a factor for you.
* The pins in each die set are also fully disengageable so you'll be able to punch paper of varying length. The Versamac has an open throat and is capable of punching documents that are up to 14 inches long. This enables you to process both small and large items, including those printed on legal-sized paper (8.5" x 14").
* You have the choice between using a foot pedal with this machine or punching your pages manually. The foot pedal can speed things up, but if you're more comfortable operating the
* The VersaMac operates quietly so you can use it in a shared workspace and not disturb your colleagues.
* Paper jams won't happen very often with this device and if you do encounter one, you can use the reverse feature to clear things up. This will get you back on track so you can meet your deadline.
* If you're looking for a well-constructed device, you couldn't do much better than this one. It has an industrial-grade motor that's very resistant to heat so overheating will never be a problem. This machine also has metal parts so you'll be able to use it for years to come.
* When it comes time to bind your documents, you can use the VersaMac's wire holder or U-shaped alignment channel to make the process easier. (The channel is for coils.) The inclusion of these features is a nice touch. However, you should note that you will need additional equipment to actually bind your documents (i.e. a plastic comb binder).
* The VersaMac is a bit on the large size, so you'll want to carefully choose where you put it. Its dimensions are 10.5" (height) x 18" (length) x 20.5" (width). Plus, it weighs over 100 pounds, so be sure to use caution when moving it.
In a nutshell, the Akiles VersaMac is the machine to get if you want a lot of punching power. It has so much to offer, such as its punching capacities and abilities, its quiet operation, and its durable construction. You'll just need to be sure the cost of the die sets aren't prohibitive and that you have enough room for the device. If that's the case, you're going to be very pleased with the VersaMac and how versatile it really is.